Friday, October 30, 2020

Info for Tomorrow

City dwellers, meet at my house at 7:00 am.

Country folk, meet us at the Leiper's Fork Market / Shell station at 8:00 am (4348 Old Hillsboro Rd, Franklin)

Rob and Pete, meet us at the Southern Skillet in Hohenwald at 9:30 am

The gauges have turned down and I think it's looking good for getting on the river, especially somewhere upstream.  


(Credit: Dave Coviello)

I will have the canoe trailer with all river gear, including canoes, except your personal coolers and drinks.  Pete is personally importing muffalettas from New Orleans for our river lunch.  

After the day trip on the river we'll move to Rob's farm near Linden, TN where dinner will be smoking and a bonfire burning.  Everyone bring your usual camping gear - tents, pads, sleeping bags - for Saturday night. 

Here's a data-packed message from Rob with directions and other useful information:

Location:

Technically, the address is 4466 Hurricane Creek Road, Linden, TN 37096. However, it’s a new address and it seems to confound waze and google maps. So, know that I am located between the two following addresses that do readily come up on google/waze: (I’m ~1/4 mile east of) 4106 Hurricane Creek Rd and (~1/2 mile west of) 4998 Hurricane Creek Rd. You find either of those and you can find me. My turn in crosses the creek, the turn-in will be on your right if traveling east on HCR, on left if traveling west on HCR. I’ll put an orange cone out by the road at my turn-in so you won’t be able to miss it. Just cross the creek (go slow, esp if it’s high, but will be fine in your truck even if high) and drive on up, you can see my cabin from HCR. Also, very important, eyeball a map before you get too far down the backroads, as you will definitely lose cell service a few miles before you get to my place. But as long as you can find Hurricane Creek Road, you will be able to find it from my dead reckoning instrux above.

 Amenities:

I have running water so no need to bring any water at all.

I have electricity for charging phones and such.

My bath house is not complete, so the toilet facilities consist of a potty chair and shovel, but it’s actually a pretty good interim setup. I have plenty of TP, but never hurts to throw a roll or two in your pack.

Coffee: I always do French press coffee out there, and if you promise not to tell, I even boil the water in the microwave when it’s raining out or I’m lazy. But I also have a propane cooker (like for crawfish boils/fish fries) that we can use to perc large volume campfire coffee in the smokehouse. Or of course we can do coffee on the fire as we do on the river, I have a grill grate there if we do that.  So just bring plenty of coffee and the club’s largest camp coffee pot. I’ll provide the water and the necessary heat/fire.  

I’ll have trash bags and all the other related kitchen sundries, but men should still bring their own Camp Cups and knife/fork/spoon/plates. But I can also get a bunch of disposable flatware and plates/bowls if just easier.  

My cabin is small and not fully finished, but it is well-insulated and fully dried in, and has room for at least 3 men to sleep on an airpad/sleeping bag on the cabin floor. Everyone should just bring their tents/bag/pads, as there is plenty of room for camping and the weather should be perfect for tent camping anyway.  

There’s also plenty of room for Frisbee, throwing baseballs/footballs, etc. so bring any recreational items you like. We have a 3-seater Polaris for excursions. My only two rules for operating the Polaris are: 1) always wear a seatbelt; 2) always have a drink in hand when operating or riding in it.

I have the firewood taken care of and can promise that you will be welcomed to the farm with a roaring fire overlooking Boiling Spring and Hurricane Creek to warm you up if the river gods should decide any or all of you all need a Buffalo Baptism.  

Oh, and men should bring their biggest and most comfortable camp chairs. I have several already there but throw in at least 3-4 good ones to make sure we’re covered.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last two posts are exceptionally funny. RRCC = fun.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I am very interested in your writing.Thanks.
healthzia.net
healthzia
Zia adesty